MODIFICATIONS THROUGH TIME
1950 first modification with the building site of Antibes then in the Seine, Toulon and then has Marseilles. Duration of the work 9 months In front of, under the stem, in the prolongation of the skittle will be bolted a room of underwater observation out of steel, equipped with 5 port-holes to approximately 3 meters under the sea. It can accommodate a person in reclining position. One reaches it by a scale located at the end of the nose of Calypso. This room of exploration is baptized “false-nose”.
- In the kitchen, in the center of the ship is bored a well of plunged offering a direct access with the sea. This hopper of plunged in full safety gives to the plungers access by strong sea.
- On the back beach, installation of a winch, cargo boom. Installation on each side of the gangways of 2 davits of setting at the water of the launches.
- Adaptation on the right side, of a folding platform allowing the plungers a setting with water in full safety.
- Adaptation of an alloy gantry léger( aluminium) which will be used as footbridge of old woman. The idea of the gantry on Calypso as on the ship Elie-Mounier(GERS) came in Cousteau during the reading of the book of Henri de Monfried.
- Adoption of 2 compressing Junkers with free pistons of a flow of 120 m3 per hour under a pressure of 200 atmospheres, which makes it possible to very quickly inflate the bottles of diving
. - Converters groups deliver the tensions necessary to various measuring equipment.
- For navigation, apprition of gyroscopic compass A.O.I.P, the autopilot Brow, transmitter-radio, the sounder ultrasound EDO emitting on the frequencies 12 and 34 kilocycles.
- Acquisition of a room de re portable compression.
- Adoption of fresh water and gas oil case, which will increase the autonomy of the ship considerably.
- addition of aluminium chalants with reduced draught
- a cabin for the distinguished guests
- an apartment for JYC and Simone Cousteau
- a dedicated room has the diving
- After its return of Corsica at the time of its first travel with as commander JYC, Calypso receives its plate of wood where is engraved “Calypso-Toulon” its its emblem and home port also “the nymph and the white dolphin on green bottom”, created by the painter of marine Luc-Marie Bayle 1952
- Use for the first time of an underwater suction dredger. This machine consists of an enormous pipe connected to a pump. The tons of remains torn off from the sea-bed are directly spit out in a latticed shopping cart.
End of the year and beginning of the other, Calypso goes in the Terrin Workshops of Marseilles and receives a bunch of new equipment there:
- Installation of a new radar Decca.
- Installation of a modern electric control panel
. - an electric winch.
- a new guide vane.
- an additional line of damping.
- one 3rd generator.
- a large cold room.
- a air-conditioned laboratory.
- new radio operator éméteurs.
- a new radar of a range of 80 kms.
- Repair of the skittle stabilizer starboard.
- Acquisition of one climbed meter, a coring bit, a cage with shark.
- Renewal of the false nose distorted during work in the farm of N°3 Repair of Marseilles.
- Installation on the beach postpones of a new winch furnished with 5000 meters steel wire ropes.
- Acquisition of a wheel with special throat of 200 kg. 1957 building sites of Antibes
- the roof, the davits and the chimney are dismounted.
- The spardeck is lengthened
- the roof sees its tripled surface.
- The new ventilation of the machines is modified and a new emergency exit is envisaged with the vertical of the headquarters of the machines.
- The room of plunged is remade.
- Modification of the back beach with the construction of the hold with its panel.
- Installation of the false chimney.
- Creation of the “room chart-house”.
- New false-nose including the transmitters of the sounder.
- Installation of the crane “Yumbo” on the back beach, left side
. - Arrival of the photographic sledge “Troika”.
- Installation of a chain of two-track electromagnetic positioning “Decca two arranges”
. - Installation of an antenna of 14 meters height rise on insulating feet and ensured on all sides by stays intersected with insulators.
- Calypso is repainted, revised and careened.
- Use of an inflated aerodynamic balloon with the helium connected by a wire of nylon to a hook of 20 kilo “Kytoon”.
- Arrival of plunging saucer SP350.
Certain works were completed in the Balaguier building sites of the Seine On Sea
Beaucoups de pièces de la Calypso son prisent sur les croiseurs et dragueurs de mines qui se trouvent dans l'arsenal de Toulon en attende d'être démantelée. JyC avait obtenue de la marine national de prendre ce qu'il avait besoins, se qu'il fit et voir un peu plus.
Je vous invite à vous rendre sur ce site consacré à la famille Auniac, propriétaire des chantiers navals où fut modifiée la calypso pour la première fois :
Many parts of Calypso its snuff on the cruisers and minesweepers which are in the arsenal of Toulon expects some to be dismantled. JyC had obtained navy national to take what it had needs, that it made and to see a little more.
I invite you to return to you on this site devoted to the family Auniac, owner of the shipyards where Calypso for the first time was modified:
- Repair of a clutch of the driving port side.
- Repair of a water escape on the driving starboard.
- Roasted port side generator.
- Short-circuit and complete breakdown.
- Installation of a folding arm in front of the false nose “Thumper”.
- Sparker and mud-Penetrator: allow to penetrate in the sediments and to trace the profiles of the more or less thick layers which settled with the courses of the millenia on the seabeds.
- Reception of the turret of galeazzi which will allow the major divings with gas mixtures and will also be used as room of immersed decompression.
- The barges are sanded.
- Furniture is repaired.
- Removal of the pre principal battery placed by socket-outlets on the ground.
- The chimney is removed to be remade definitively
- The fitting of the roof is completely modified.
- The installations of the flight compartment are taken again in order to arrange separate cabins of 2 people.
- Modification of the boat davits.
- New false nose.
- New shelters of navigation.
- Addition of a rotary converter of 25 kw delivering of the 380 three-phase volts.
- Reconstruction of the winch.
- The electrical motors, the silencers, the rudders are revised.
- The engines of propulsion and the generators are remade.
- Acquisition of 2 underwater sand fleas, single-seat standard P500.
- Saucer SP 350.
- Turret of galéazzi.
- 15 underwater cameras.
- 6 ordinary cameras
- Saucer of sea.
- Use of new shaped diving-suits including: accessories of lighting, underwater telephony by sonar and phone of surface per radio.
- Equipment of underwater intercoms with ultrasound
- Installation of a yellow platform helicopter.
- Installation of a receiver which makes it possible to directly receive the photographs taken by various satellites, in visible light or infra-red.
- Radiophonic communication system and of direct transmission of images helping itself for relay of the stationary satellite and telecommunication ATS3.
- Helicopter Hugues 300.
- Balloon with hot air.
- Installation of a gantry on the nose of Calypso where 2 film cameras are fixed
- New work maintenance general.
- Perception of a new helicopter
- Use of the analytical photographic system taken by the satellite Landsal 1 and 2.
- Use of a sounder of the type: side sonar of brand EGG.
- Purchase of a compressor.
- Repair and change of certain parts of the hull external with Saint-Augustine in Florida
Calypso cassait plus que réguliairement ses arbres d'hélices, André Mauric compris pourquoi et dit à JYC:
"jacques, votre bateau est devenu flexible , renforcer le en prolongeant les quilles de roulis jusqu'à l'assise et doublez les de tôles d'acier.
cette modification fut apporté lors de travaux d'entretient sur Calypso en Floride et depuis, Calypso ne cassa plus ses arbres d'hélices
André mauric fit aussi améliorer le couplage de la coque en bois de Calypso avec la chambre d'observation en acier.
Tous les jours , quelques soit le temps qu'il face, les hommes de la Calypso lavent son pont des 6h30 du matin
Calypso broke more than réguliairement its propeller shafts, André Mauric understood why and said to JYC:
“Jacques, your boat became flexible, to reinforce by prolonging the skittles of rolling to base and double sheet steels.
this modification was made during work of maintains on Calypso in Florida and since, Calypso did not break any more its propeller shafts
Andre mauric also made improve the coupling of the hull out of wooden of Calypso with the room of observation out of steel.
The every day, some is time that it face, the men of Calypso wash his bridge of the 6:30 of the morning
Les 4 raisons qui font que JYC voulait un ancien dragueur de mines pour en faire un navire océanographique:
Première raison: Un bateau en bois est plus vivant qu'un en métal, l'hivers une tole est gelée froide et en été cela devient un véritable four tandis que le bois régule mieux les condition climatique
deuxième raison: une coque en bois et bordées très solides, membrures de meilleurs qualitées, massives et rapprochées sur lesquelle on a une bordée d'une épaisseur de 12 cms
troisième raison: grande autonomie, sur ces deux moteurs à la vitesse de 10 noeuds, la Calypso peut naviguer 21 jours sans besoin de ravitaillement ( cela lui permet de traverser l'Atlantique)
dernière raison: Le modeste tirant d'eau -de 10 pieds ( environs 3 metres) au dessous de la ligne de flottaison lui permet de passer à peut près partout